Here’s a little background information I found about rose water; Generally rose essence, that is rose water and rose oil, is used in various therapeutic preparations especially facial or skin treatment. Pure natural rose water is 100% free from artificial ingredients and perfumes and is used as a facial cleanser. Cleopatra, famous for her ancient beauty secrets, used rose water in various face masks. It also prevents aging by reducing wrinkles and tightening skin pores. Dry skin can be hydrated by using rose water as a moisturizer. Rose water cleanses the skin, removing dirt, oil and other pollutants from deep inside the skin pores. Amazingly, it can be used on any skin type without causing much irritation. It acts as a cleansing agent as well as a skin toner. For that reason, ancient Romans preferred baths of rose water. The benefits of rose water can be accessed to various types of face masks can be enhanced by adding rose water to dilute, instead of plain water.
Here are a few ways how rosewater works wonders for you:
1. Since rose oil has anti-inflammatory properties, using rose water can help in reducing the redness from irritated or over-heated skin.
2. It is a great cleanser and aids in removing oil and dirt accumulated in clogged pores. Thus preventing acne and pimples.
3. It has astringent like properties, which is why it is used after facials and clean ups to close open pores. Applying rose water after steaming tightens capillaries, reduces redness and blotchiness.
4. The aroma of roses is said to be a powerful mood enhancer. It rids you of feelings of anxiety and promotes emotional wellbeing, thereby making you look relaxed. Since it is de-stressing, it helps you sleep better which means you will wake up feeling fresh.
5. The best and easiest way to use it is to apply it at night. It helps clear all impurities that your face has collected through the day.
Me personally, I love the smell of it and I think it puts me in a better mood. Over the summer when I would get itchy eyes from my allergies, I would spray some of this on my face and my eyes would stop itching. I typically spray mine on in the morning but if it helps clear impurities when used at night, then I will give that a try.
Have you ever tried rose water? If so, what are your favorite brands?